Monday 10 August 2009

...A CRAZY BIKE TRIP!

Aaargh I did it again! So many wonderful things happen to us these past few weeks and I didn't update the blog... Silly mummy!
Ok, so let's start from the top... Andrew has been working A LOT recently... not only with his full time job, but he had few private projects that somehow decided they all had to come through at the same time, so he had few weeks (and weekends) where he was relegated to his desk in the living room corner... I mean... I love having a nerd around like the next girl (actually I really really love my "nerdlington", it's wonderful to have a clever man around for once!) but... I was so happy two weeks ago when he told me we could take Saturday off and do something together as a family!
We've been speaking of going bike riding for months... we started talking about that when my bump was manageable and not too noticeable, but now that I have "exploded" I wondered if it was still feasible... Now.... those of you that know me well enough will know that it takes an awful lot for me to say "I can't do this" and stay at home to knit, and I honestly didn't think an 8 month pregnant belly would be a huge problem for bike riding, so we took the girl's bikes, strapped them on the oddest bike rack you've ever seen, and set off to a nature reserve called "Lee Valley Park", where Andrew and I hired bikes for ourselves!
It was soooo much fun! I haven't been on a bike for years and even though at the end of the day I was really exhausted, it still was really wonderful to be out all together...
We saw wonderful places, a truly English countryside, a water reserve populated with ducks and vicious swans, and a farm where Lilly was delighted to spend time with her beloved cows!
Lilly loooves cows! And before you think stuff like "I bet she likes burgers too", Lilly stopped eating red meat when she was 5 and there is no way to get her to eat anything rather than chicken (she thinks chickens are vicious anyway) and pork.
The odd thing is that she does occasionally eat venison, even though she has seen and loves Bambi.. aaahhhh strange child!
Anyway... we saw a 4 days old calf and the girls managed to stroke and fuss over him for 20 minutes! they were sooo happy!
I fell asleep under a tree for a while they were running around the farm. When we eventually got home I still don't remember how I managed to get back in bed... but in bed I went, and all was well!
The funniest thing in my opinion was to see the look of disapproval from the elderly ladies we crossed on the trip and the look of approval and respect from the younger generation as this 8 month bump rode their way!
... Poor Adam was properly tossed around that day, but considering he is still breech I thought it was a good way to "encourage" him to face the right way!
(ok... maybe 5 miles bike riding on a cobbled road was not the best way... but heck we had fun trying!)





the girls falling in love with the four days old calf

Those were truly vicious swans... Lilly was very brave indeed!

No comments: