Friday 14 November 2008

Pride and... spring rolls!


Ahhh such a busy week!
This is Kim in her new uniform and her new secondary school.
On Wednesday we went to Kim's parent teacher's meeting. Kim is doing SOOOOO well! We were all impressed!
You see... the Kim we know and love at home is slightly different to the Kim that reaches school or even church... somehow a magical transformation takes place, I don't really know how, but when she is at home she's the classic typical... extra spicy teenager, while as soon as she steps outside she's simply angelic! 
NO MIDDLE GROUND!
I told Andrew about this incantation, he didn't really believe it possible, but sure enough people started singing her praises as soon as we step
 into the school!
She got a level 6 in science, I mean... in year 7 it's rather normal to have a level 4 or maybe 5... level 6 it's something quite amazing... 
Her science teacher has sent us TWO postcards home telling us how well she is doing this term... we are very proud!
After the meeting, as a treat, we went to dine out to one of the girls favorite restaurants and then... straight to sleep! 


Then, it was Lilly's turn to dazzle us in her school assembly.
This term they've studied the life and kingdom of Henry the 8th and the Tudors, subject that both Andrew and I love very much.
Lilly's assembly was fashioned like an old English program called "This is your life" and all the children were dressed up in Tudor costumes (well... princesses outfits anyway...)
We were also treated to a lovely Renaissance Dance...
 


After which protective daddy was ready to run trough with a blunt blade the cute, blonde, freckly boy who dared to dance with his little girl holding her hand... but he was just joking.... I hope!




Thursday was the turn of Ana Perline's baby shower... She is a dear friend from church, and her first baby is due sometime in February... we're all so excited about it! 
Sadly she recently had to leave our ward as she moved to a bigger place in Hendon... so... we went to shower the baby with presents, give advices to the soon-to-be mum and... shamelessly eat a ton of spring rolls and chocolates! 
This was Ana and her lovely husband Valerio at our wedding last month... 
Can you see?! She is positively glowing! They are going to call their boy Gianluca an italian name that I love since I was a little girl...

My goodness, this is not all!
On Saturday evening we went to my old church, for a Christmas/goodbye party. 
Sadly the church will be demolished soon, and in its place will be built an office block. 
The new minister has agreed on a deal to rebuild the church on the back of the office block, but nothing it's for sure yet, I have dealt with those landlords before and I don't particularly trust them... I will miss that place... even if I don't go for the services anymore it still holds fond memories...

            

I was the minister there (yeah, ok... really... stop laughing!) and I ran the church for almost three years before meeting the missionaries, and even though I have moved on, it was sort of comforting driving past it, knowing it was there!
Anyway, the party was lovely and I saw people I haven't seen in more than a year and said my goodbyes...
Straight when I came home on Saturday night, I started cooking and getting ready for the munch and mingle that we were having at church on
 Sunday...
Dear family friends of ours are going to leave the ward, and this was a sort of goodbye party... They have the two cutest kids I know, and I will miss them a lot! But thanks to the power of e-mail and blogs we'll manage to stay in touch! Bye bye Debbie, bye bye Brian... we'll miss you!

I love this ward, but many people that settle here, especially the Americans 
that are transferred here by their companies, don't stay here very long, it's very sad to make so many friends and then, as soon as you feel comfortable with them, they have to leave... aaaargh! 
Anyway... another reason to head for the States one day (ok, ok I hear you darling we are not moving back there.... just on long holidays then!)
Honestly... Andrew seems to enjoy life in the UK soooo much! 
I guess the fact that so many of his ancestors were linked to this land makes him feel sort of at home, and he fits right in here!
Anyway, this was my first time completely in charge of organizing a social gathering in this church , and judging by the satisfied looks, licking of fingers and general mood, I think it was a success! 
So... this was our week... as you can see things are moving fast! I like it this way, but it's a bit draining sometimes!
I want to apologize, this time I seem to have uploaded the pictures in a smaller format, next week I promise to go back to the normal sizing that I think it's nicer to look at...
I hope you are all going to have a nice week and to have soon new and exciting pictures and events to write about!

2 comments:

Joyce said...

What a great week. It does not surprise me at all the Kim and Lilly are little geniuses! They are truly gifted girls and so lucky to have great parents who really care about them. It was also nice to see some people from the ward. We miss the London North ward so much...our ward here is just not the same!

The Stamps said...

... and our ward here is not the same without you!
We miss you guys sooo much!
Rally, truly ad honestly!
Anyway... Happy thanksgiving!