Saturday 20 June 2009

RAF Museum, Hendon

Oh my goodness, once more I have so much catching up to do... these past few weeks have been sooo busy!
But let's start with today....
First of all
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all our friends out there!
So... for days I wracked my brain to find out something to do for daddy on his first Father's day here, something that we could all enjoy and fairly local (I am a bit "wobbly" on my feet these days and don't want to go to far away, just in case...) and I remembered that we live just 10 minutes from the RAF Museum (Royal Air force). I checked their website and to my delight found out that this week end they were holding all sorts of exciting events to commemorate both D-day (it was at the beginning of June) and Father's day! I was sooooo happy!
It's funny, because the girls and I had always wanted to go, but somehow never managed to before... all three of us have - in a way or another - an "army oriented" mind: I've always been passionate about all sorts of weapons and uniforms, Kim can't wait to join the Army cadets in a few months and Lilly, well.. Lilly in my opinion is perfect "cold blood killer" material, she can do the worst jobs and then turn around with her big Bambi eyes, a sweet smile and you would never even think she IS the ultimate weapon herself!
Now that we have a daddy that actually LOVES airplanes and - above all - helicopters we couldn't postpone going to visit it any longer!
Because of the special celebrations on the grounds there were soldiers and nurses dressed in period uniforms, some of them walked around with their rifles and we were allowed to touch them, hold them and pretend to shoot at things!




Forgive me my hair.... (I certainly intend to try to!)
I think the guy is still laughing at this heavily pregnant woman getting all excited to hold an old rifle!

I'm telling you.... she could kill you just with a smile!



Career girl... this one already has a technique!

She really took to it like a duck to water!

Then we went on one of three big indoor hangars and there was a concert of music from those times... there a wind orchestra (lots of flutes for daddy!) was seated underneath a huge bomber airplane and performed wonderfully!
After that, three girls dressed in full 40's costume with hair and microphone to boot came "on stage" and sang some of the nicest songs of that period, starting with one of Andrew's and my favorites "The white cliffs of Dover!"
The funny thing is that that was the very same song that played as we walked inside the tunnels in the "white cliffs of Dover" themselves a couple of moths ago... so... it meant even more for us, both in terms of memories, and actual love for the song!
The girl had such a great fun trying the weapons and playing in the interactive area, Daddy had fun looking and being able to go in one of the military helicopters and I absolutely adored the costumes and the music!
So... all in all a great day out for everyone!
It was even more magical because it was a new thing for al of us, and going in as a family on "Father's day weekend" meant much more to all of us than it would have at any other time in the past!
All three of us girls are very aware to how lucky we are to have such a man in the family, every day we are amazed thinking to how great our life is, how different, how much richer and want to say to this amazing man...
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DADDY
WE LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

We loved the RAF Museum - a great place for small ones to run around in the winter. I love the pics of the pregnant lady shooting guns. How tough are you? Pregnant and going to war! Wow! It is great to see how you all are doing. If you haven't heard, we are also pregnant with #3 and it is another girl! WE are excited....